1. Michelle attended only public schools while growing up in Chicago.
2. She was assigned Barack’s mentor when he came to her Chicago firm for a summer job.
3. Her first impression of Barack wasn’t great; after seeing a photo of him in the law firm directory she decided he had a big nose.
4. She declined Barack’s first invitations to go out on a date, saying it would be inappropriate.
5. Her father and brother had always said you could tell a lot about someone’s character on the court, so before agreeing to date Barack, she asked her brother to take him on on the basketball court.
6. Her university dissertation was entitled, “Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community.”
7. Barack proposed at a Chicago restaurant and the ring arrived on a tray with the dessert.
8. Their first dance at their wedding was to “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole.
9. Santita Jackson, Jesse Jackson’s daughter and Michelle’s high school classmate, sang at the wedding.
10. She works out “like a gladiator,” according to friends.