What would become of our planet if humans were to vanish?
That’s the question recently tackled by YouTube channel #Mind Warehouse in a video that has garnered more than 3 million views in less than two weeks. Of course, there’s still a ways to go for it to catch the channel’s most popular click-getter: 10 most cruel punishments for cheating.
As for the doomsday scenario, the makers of the video used information and various animations from National Geographic and the History channel television series “Life After People” to put together a riveting summary of what supposedly would happen to Earth when humanity vanishes.
Here are some of the highlights… or lowlights, depending on your perspective (click here for the full video).
1. Just a few hours after humans disappear, lights around the world will shut down.
2. Within 10 days, pets and farm animals will die out due to starvation and dehydration.
3. A few week later, those adorable small dog breeds will no longer exist as packs of bigger dogs hunt them down and take them out.
4. A month later, cooling water at nuclear power plants will evaporate, leading to “a series of explosions much stronger than the Fukushima and Chernobyl disasters.”
5. After a year, the sky will light up with the thousands of objects we’ve put in the Earth’s orbit as they come crashing back down.
6. A quarter of a century after man’s disappearance, 75% of the planet’s paved city streets and sidewalks will be covered in vegetation.
7. Cities like Las Vegas and Dubai will be smothered in sand as “the desert takes what belongs to it.”
8. After 300 years, metal constructions like the Eiffel Tower and steel bridges, without maintenance, will crumble to the ground.
9. Swamps that once covered large parts of the world will reappear.
10. The only evidence of man-made buildings after 10,000 years will be stone constructions, which can last several hundred thousand years.