For better or worse, Facebook has become an integral part of daily life for many of us. We rely on it to keep up with family and friends, to stay current on the news, to kill time at work, and to argue with people we haven’t seen since high school about whether or not President Obama is really a Kenyan-born sleeper agent.
But despite the fact that you use it every day, chances are you still don’t know some of the handy tricks and shortcuts that can make life on Facebook a whole lot easier. So to make your time on the world’s largest social network more efficient, here’s our list of essential tips that every Facebook user should know.
1. Control who sees the apps you use
If you log into Facebook with an app like Spotify or Candy Crush, your friends may end up seeing notifications about your app activities in their News Feeds, telling them what songs you listen to and how often you crush said candy. But you can do everyone a favor and hide all that activity from your friends.
1. First go to Facebook on your desktop Web browser.
2. On the left side of the screen, mouse over Apps and click More.
3. Select Settings. Next you’ll see a list of all of the apps that are logged into your Facebook account.
3. To hide an app, hover over it and click the pencil icon.
4. Click the drop-down box next to App Visibility and change it fromFriends to Only Me.
2. Turn off annoying game notifications
We all get notifications on our smartphones from Facebook friends asking us to play Pirate Kings or some similar waste of time. Here’s how to kill those notifications.
1. If you use the Android Facebook app, open it up, then tap the Moreicon (the one with three horizontal lines) in the top-right corner of the screen to open the Settings menu. On the iPhone, that More icon is in the lower-right corner.
2. In the Android app, scroll down and select App Settings. On the iPhone, scroll down to Settings and select Account Settings.