There are so many things that we have no clue about (unless you really pay attention to detail). Or unless you really cared to research every little thing that doesn’t make much sense to you.
For example, have you ever really wondered why wine bottles come with that indent at the bottom? Or have you ever really stopped and wondered why winter hats actually have bobbles on the top? It’s not just for style purposes.
Turns out, there are tons of things around us on a regular basis that actually have hidden functions behind them. They’re not there for no reason. They actually have a purpose and we’re here to tell you a few of them.
After you check out these 12 items, you’ll never look at them the same way again.
1. You’ve probably noticed the indent in the base of wine bottles. That’s to control the pressure while corking.
2. Why do tape measures have small holes at the end? It wasn’t a mistake. That hole is used to hook into nails or screws.
3. The bobble on your winter hat isn’t just a fashion trend. Historically, it was used to protect sailors when they bashed their heads.
4. It’s been a pretty long mystery as to what the purpose of the panels is in your backpack. For most rucksacks, that panel is designed to be attached to either ropes or cables.
5. A lot of people tend to shift their rear view mirror by holding onto it from the side or at the top. Not a lot of people actually know the purpose for the tab on the rear view mirror.
It’s actually there to help you tip the mirror if you’re blinded by the jerk who has his high-beam lights on behind you.
6. Do you ever drive to the gas station, and really struggle to remember what side the pump hatch is on? Well, this is gonna blow your mind.
The arrow that’s next to the pump symbol has a huge purpose. It’s actually there to tell you which side of your car the pump hatch is on.
7. We don’t blame you if you didn’t notice, but there’s a tiny hole at the bottom of your lock. It’s there if you need to oil up your padlock and acts as a filter in case it’s used underwater.
8. Another tiny hole you didn’t notice was at the back of youriPhone. It’s actually a microphone for when you’re taking a video with the back-facing camera.
9. What’s up with the random holes on the side of your converse? They’re actually used for ventilation and they let you tie your laces with more ankle support.
10. We’re pretty sure that a few people know about this already, but the loop on the back of shirts is there so you can hang them on locker pegs. That way you can avoid creasing with no hanger handy.
11. For those of us who aren’t into electronics, the clunky cylinder on power cables actually has a purpose. It’s used to block out high-frequency noises.
12. Ever wondered what the hole at the end of a biro pen lid was there for? It was placed there in case a child accidentally swallowed it. It’s an air hole so they can still breathe in case it gets stuck in their throat.
We were shocked to learn about these 12 features in everyday objects. They’re pretty useful to know about!