14 Year-Old Girl Dies After Electrocuting Herself While Charging And Using Her Phone In The Bath

A teenager has died after she was electrocuted while trying to charge her phone when taking a bath.

Madison Coe, 14, was having a bath at her home in Lovington, New Mexico, when the accident happened on Sunday morning.

According to her family, the 14-year-old had either plugged her phone in or tried to use her phone, which was already plugged in, while she sat in the bath, causing her to electrocute herself.

Her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told KCBD a ‘burn mark’ was found on Madison’s hand from where she grabbed the phone.

Girl, 14, dies after electrocuting herself while using phone in the bath
A burn mark was reportedly found on her hand from where she had grabbed the phone (Picture: Family photo/KCBD)

Paying tribute to her, she said: ‘I call her my shining star. She was very smart. Very good student in school. She just loved life.’

‘She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her.’

She added that she hopes the accidents will be a lesson to others in the future, and said: ‘This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else.

Girl, 14, dies after electrocuting herself while using phone in the bath
Her family have paid tribute to their ‘shining star’ (Picture: Family photo/KCBD)

‘And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.

‘We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix.’

GoFundMe page has now been set up for her family to cover funeral expenses and a serviced will be held in Lubbock on July 15.

Madison, who was in year 9, was a member of Terra Vista Middle School’s band and also played basketball for the school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *