Unfortunately, in recent times the incidence of obesity and its attendant health problems (such as stroke, hypertension, diabetes, cancers and so on) has been on a steady rise as more people lead sedentary lifestyles and consume fatty foods.
In view of the diverse health risks and challenges associated with obesity on the one hand and the immense benefits that have been attributed to being able to maintain a normal Body Mass Index (18.5-24.9) on the other hand, it has become pertinent to discuss some of the fruits that must become a part of your regular diet in order to help burn some fat and promote weight loss.
1. Apples: Apples are known to be a very rich fruit source of dietary fibres. Fibres help to fill your stomach and reduce your likelihood of snacking on junk foods. Also, being a low-calorie fruit, apples are your best bet if you want to slim down a bit.
2. Pears: These fruits have been shown to have a high-fibre content which is an essential ingredient for weight loss. Pears were also found to lower cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the chances of excessive weight gain and also protecting the heart.
3. Grapefruits: They are excellent high-fibre, low-calorie fruits that have proved to enhance weight loss. Researchers have ascribed this effect to phytochemicals and vitamin C found in grapefruits. A study performed at Johns Hopkins University revealed an average weight loss of 20 pounds in some women who ate grapefruits daily for 13 weeks. That was an amazing result, right? Consider adding grapefruits to your diet as well.
4. Coconuts: Apart from being high in fibre content, coconuts contain medium-chain triglycerides that increase the metabolic rate of the liver and thereby help to facilitate weight loss and keep you in good shape.
5. Tomatoes: Tomatoes aid in the synthesis of carnitine, an amino acid that has been shown to enhance the body’s ability to burn fat by up to thirty-three percent. Furthermore, lycopene, a phytochemical and vitamin C which are found in tomatoes are also beneficial to those who need to shed some weight.
6. Berries: These are rich in powerful natural chemicals (polyphenols) that can enhance weight loss. A recent study at Texas Woman’s University revealed that blueberries are able to fight fat cells and prevent fat from forming. In the same vein, strawberries promote the production of leptin and adiponectin which help the body to burn fat.
Photo credit: www.eatthis.com