At least four people were killed, including two journalists, after Isil suicide bombers stormed the offices of Afghanistan’s state broadcaster RTA on Wednesday.
The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil) claimed responsibility shortly after the attack, which also left two RTA security guards dead and a further 16 people injured, according to officials in Jalalabad , the capital of Nangarhar province.
Local police said one of the bombers was killed in the attack while the other four were gunned down by security forces.
Local hospital sources said several of the injured were in critical condition.
The Nangarhar is the eastern province on the border with Pakistan, where Islamic State fighters have established a stronghold, but there is also a strong Taliban presence in the region.
The US military last month dropped the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb – dubbed the “Mother Of All Bombs” – on IS positions in Nangarhar, killing dozens of militants.
Wednesday’s attack marks the latest militant assault on an Afghan media organization.