Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships 2016 for Graduate Study in Germany
Application Deadline: July 15th 2016
The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung awards scholarships to international master students and graduates in order to enable study and research at universities in Germany. This way, KAS actively promote intercultural dialogues, the formation of international networks as well as the internationalization of universities and science.
Sponsorship Program for Foreign Students (Ausländerförderung) is aimed at international students and graduates who have acquired a university degree in their home country and who intend to complete postgraduate or master studies, doctoral studies or a research stay at a university in Germany. Applicants should
- be able to provide evidence of above average academic performance
- bring broad general education and distinct interest in political issues
- have a positive attitude towards democracy and human rights
- have been actively engaged in voluntary work for the benefit of the people and the society in their home countries
- be open to develop their personal points of view and practice tolerance towards those with different beliefs
- be highly motivated and be able to convince us with their own plans and potential.
The scholarships consist not only of financial assistance but also include a program of ideational support. We expect our scholars to participate actively in this program throughout the eligibility period, including
- the participation in at least four multi-day seminars of our annual agenda,
- regular attendance and active participation in the meetings of the regional scholar group at their university.
- The minimum period in our scholarship program is one year and the remaining length of your studies or research in Germany has to be at least two semesters.
- Persons having already achieved a doctorate are not eligible for a scholarship.
- There is an age limit of 30 years for all applicants.
- The program of ideational support and the activities of the regional scholar groups are held in German. For this reason, a sufficient knowledge of the German language (level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is obligatory for all scholars even if the courses of their planned studies are taught in English.
- Duration and level of funding vary for different types of studies. Graduates (master or postgraduate students) receive a monthly scholarship of € 750. The standard funding period is two years
- After having obtained unconditional admission to doctoral studies at a German university, PhD-students receive a monthly scholarship of € 920. The standard funding period for PhD scholars is three years.
Being a scholar of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung means much more than just receiving financial assistance
They become part of an active and living network. The program of ideational support consists of three elements: 1. Personal contact to and mentoring by the referees of our Sponsorship Program for Foreign Students and by the KAS representatives at the universities. 2. An internal seminar program for all our scholars. 3. The diverse activities of the regional scholar groups at the universities.
Network of former scholars
It is a matter of particular interest to the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung to encourage networking between our current and former scholars.
Please download and fill out the application form and attach the following documents:
- A meaningful CV in tabular form including details about your previous voluntary work or social commitment
- Copies of your examination certificates in German translation if the originals are not in English
- Copies of your studies performance records if you have been studying at a University in Germany
- Proof of German language skills
- An informal academic letter of recommendation: This opinion should provide information about your academic qualifications and potential; it should not be older than two month. The author has to be a university professor or teacher holding a doctoral degree.
- An informal letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality: This opinion should focus on your personality and interests as well as on your understanding of values and your social commitment. The author cannot be the same as that providing the academic letter of recommendation.
- Certificate of admission or matriculation from your university in Germany
- Two passport photographs: If applying for a doctoral scholarship, please attach additionally
- A detailed description of your doctoral thesis: This exposé, written in German or English (4-5 pages), should outline the central research question of your proposed project, its scientific relevance, your theoretical approach and the motives behind your choice of the research subject. It should also contain a work and time schedule and a bibliography.
- A second academic letter of recommendation: This second opinion should be written by the supervisor of your doctoral thesis, providing you already have one. It replaces the letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2016 Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships