Michael Buble previously bowed out of hosting January’s Brit Awards when his son Noah was diagnosed with liver cancer, and now he’s also pulled out of Canada’s top music gala the Juno Awards too.
Junos organiser Bell Media confirmed on Thursday (March 9) that Bublé would not be able to fulfill his duties as this year’s host as the singer and his wife Luisana Lopilato continue to care for Noah.
“Our thoughts continue to be with Michael – we respect his ongoing commitment to his family and look forward to working with him again in the future,” Bell Media’s Mike Cosentino told The Hollywood Reporter.
He will be replaced as host of the April 2 award show by stand-up comedian Russell Peters and Canadian rock legend Bryan Adams.
When Bublé backed out of the Brit Awards in January, he was replaced by The X Factor’s Dermot O’Leary and The Voice UK‘s Emma Willis weeks before the ITV ceremony.
Those two ultimately began the February 22 Brit Awards with a tribute to Michael Bublé and his young son in front of a worldwide audience watching on ITV and YouTube.
“Emma and I are honoured to be your hosts – but truth be told we’d much rather be down [in the audience] watching Michael Bublé up here hosting the show,” Dermot told viewers.
Emma added: “We so wish that you could be with us this evening. Everybody at the BRITs sends you all of our love. Fingers crossed that we’ll see him again next year!”
The good news is that Michael and his wife Luisana Lopilato recently said they were “optimistic” about their son’s health in an update to fans.