A six-year-old boy has reportedly been rushed to hospital after a Galaxy Note 7exploded in his hand.
The child was taken by ambulance to Downstate Medical Center in New York after suffering from severe burns.
According to his grandmother, Linda Lewis, the youngster was watching videos on the newly released device when the battery suddenly caught fire.
This latest accident follows a string of reports of Galaxy Note 7s exploding, either when being used or whilst charging. Over 35 cases were confirmed, including one which caused a car to burst into flames .
Samsung has now recalled the new handsets and suspended sales of the phone. The South Korean company has asked Note 7 owners to turn off their devices and exchange them.
Customers can either choose to use a Samsung Galazy J until the Note is fixed, or they can permanently swap it for a Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 edge and get the difference in price refunded.
The global recall of the 2.5 million handsets has had a major financial impact on the company, with Samsung dropping £11bn in market value.
Speaking at a press conference, Koh Dong-jin, president of Samsung’s mobile business, said a battery cell made by one of its two battery suppliers caused the phone to catch fire.
“There was a tiny problem in the manufacturing process so it was very difficult to find out,” he told reporters.
The news could not come at a worse time for Samsung. The company’s biggest competitor, Apple, has just launched the iPhone 7 , which begins shipping this week.
Despite the Note 7 otherwise getting rave reviews, this latest incident is set to cause further damage to Samsung’s reputation.