A 10-year-old boy dies from allergic reaction to McDonald’s Peri Peri wrap

 

He had been given the wrap of Mc Donald peri peri by his mother, who had bought it for him and his brother to take their mind off being on the streets. But just 10 minutes after eating the chicken wrap at the Ilac Centre restaurant in Dublin, he became ill. Maleek Lawal had been given the wrap by his mother, who had bought it for him and his brother to take their mind off being on the streets on October 7, 2016.


An inquest into his death heard that his mother Rukawat Lawal knew he loved McDonald’s food so bought the snacks to ‘keep them happy’. Ms Lawal was pregnant with Maleek when she arrived in Ireland from Nigeria seeking asylum in 2006, according to Dublin Live. Someone is going around taking secret pictures of you during your commute She told Dublin Coroner’s Court that Maleek was allergic to milk, fish, eggs and nuts, but had never had any problems eating hamburgers or nuggets from the fast food chain.
At the time of his death, the family were struggling to find a place to stay so were sleeping rough. Ms Lawal had taken her children to a barbershop to get a haircut on the day of Maleek’s death before leaving her two sons so she could go and get some McDonald’s with her daughter. An inquest into his death heard that his mother Rukawat Lawal knew he loved McDonald’s food so bought the snacks to ‘keep them happy’.
She ordered hamburgers, chicken nuggets and a Peri Peri wrap for her children, the inquest was told. She said: ‘We were homeless, with nobody helping us, we were on our own and I was looking for a way to get out of emergency accommodation. I was looking for a way to keep the children happy. ‘Sometimes I felt so bad for him, so sad for him, that when he asked for something I had to give it to him.’
But when Maleek ate his meal, he started to complain about being in pain just 10 minutes later. His face and lips started swelling up and he said: ‘Mam I’m feeling weak, I can’t walk’. Just 10 minutes after eating the chicken wrap at the Ilac Centre restaurant in Dublin, Maleek became ill.
His mother immediately rushed him back to the barber shop and screamed for help. He was rushed to Temple Street Hospital shortly after 5.50pm and was pronounced dead at 7pm. Surfer paddles into massive swarm of jellyfish off coast of Newquay A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as anaphylactic shock due to traces of milk being found in the chicken wrap. The inquest was also told Ms Lawal did not ask about allergens when she ordered the McDonald’s food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.