Autostrade Top Managers Under Investigation in Genoa Bridge Collapse

Italian prosecutors have placed under investigation the top executives of Autostrade, the firm operating a bridge that collapsed last month killing 43 people, a judicial source said on Thursday.

A general view shows apartment buildings under the Morandi motorway bridge one day after a section collapsed in Genoa on August 15, 2018.
Nearly 40 people died on August 14, 2018, when a giant motorway bridge collapsed in Genoa in northwestern Italy, with the death toll expected to mount further. / AFP PHOTO / Piero CRUCIATTI

The top managers of Autostrade, a unit of infrastructure group Atlantia, are among a list of 20 suspects which are being probed for alleged manslaughter, the source said.

Autostrade was not ready to avail for a comment.

Prosecutors in Genoa are investigating the causes of the collapse of the Morandi bridge, which is part of the A10 motorway linking the northwestern Italian city to the French border.

A 200-metre section of the bridge gave way on Aug. 14, plunging dozens of vehicles into the valley below.

(Reporting by Paola Balsomini, writing by Valentina Za, editing by Paola Arosio and Stephen Jewkes)

-Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.