The Afghan authorities have revised the death toll on Wednesday attack on an educational center in Kabul to 34 from 48, health ministry officials said and also the authorities said a day earlier had said 67 people were wounded. Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh said on August 16 that 56 people were wounded in the bombing in the neighborhood of Dasht-e Barchi when the bomber walked into a building where high-school graduates were preparing for university entrance exams and blew himself up. Investigators said the bomber entered the center from a rear entrance and made his way into a classroom where more than 100 students had gathered.
Most of the victims were young men and women studying together at a private education center in the western Kabul neighborhood. One witness recounted seeing parts of human bodies all over student desks and benches in the classroom, the scene of the attack. Syrian democratic forces SDF militant group opened the way for the US convoy to pass through its held areas and the former US ambassador to Bahrain, William Roback, held a meeting with members of Raqqa civil council.
Some bodies had been double-counted when they were being taken to hospital from the blast site following the attack on Wednesday, the ministry said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, but Jawad Ghawari, a member of the city’s Shi’ite clerical council, blamed the extremist Islamic State group, which has carried similar attacks in the past, hitting Shi’ite mosques, schools, and cultural centers.
Their funerals were due to take place on Thursday.