In Philippines Two Dead, One Missing after Severe Flooding

Almost 60,000 people are in evaculation centre after severe flooding in Philippines, atleast two were dead said by government agency this morning Aug 13. A total of 248,080 families in 713 villages across the country have been affected by flooding triggered by southwest monsoon rain since last week said by the National Disaster Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), A total of 13,724 families or 59,108 people are sheltered in temporary government shelters.
A 36-year-old male and a 61-year-old female have drowned in Metro Manila, the agency said. A 50-year-old man was reported missing also in Metro Manila. The NDRRMC warned that many areas, including in the Philippine’s main Luzon island, will continue to experience “occasional rains” caused by the southwest monsoon, The agency also warned of “possible flooding and landslides due to scattered rains and thunderstorms”.
Some provinces in the Visayas region in the central Philippines and in Mindanao in the southern Philippines will also experience isolated showers and thunderstorms that could trigger flash floods and landslides, The bad weather has damaged over 3,000 houses, roads, bridges, power supply and seaports, according to the agency’s report.

A total of 133.8 million pesos (S$3.4 million) worth of assistance provided by the government has been extended to those affected said by the Philippine Presidential Spokeman Harry Roque.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.