A 43yr old woman named Tanya Czernozukow, thought nothing of it when she nicked her right shin with a razor and ignored it when it turned into a scab the size of a 5p coin. But six months later it tripled in size until it was a ‘huge hole’ and doctors spent 18 months trying to stop the aggressive infection from spreading up her thigh.
When I first came round I got one hell of a shock. There was only inches of my leg left. It was just complete and utter shock. To see it gone was like waking up in a nightmare. She tried tablets, creams and even maggots to get rid of the infection, but after months of agony Tanya agreed to have it amputated above the knee.
She was eventually diagnosed with a chronic leg ulcer which developed into gangrene. Gaucho falls into administration costing 540 jobs and closing 22 restaurants Fortunately, the operation halted the infection and Tanya now says she is pain free and preparing to get on with her life.
Tanya, of Breaston, Derbyshire, said: ‘It has been an absolute nightmare. ‘It was just a little nick. I just went ‘ouch’ and thought nothing of it. I’ve done it a thousand times before so I just put a bit of tissue on it and expected it to stop bleeding.
Within a few weeks it was green and black from my ankle right up to my knees. ‘The pain was absolutely sheer hell. Tanya, says doctors neglected to take it seriously until it became a gangrene-like infection up her whole leg. When the scab initially appeared, Tanya’s mum urged her to see her GP but she refused. SWNS ‘I had to take more and more painkillers. It was a constant feeling of thousands of needles being stuck into me.
I used to sit with my leg in a plastic bag – there used to be that much fluid seeping out of it, I felt like I was in a horror movie. Schoolgirl left with severe chemical burns after making slime ‘After a while it looked like gangrene.
It looked like I had a flesh-eating bug. It just kept growing and growing and growing. ‘It got to the point when I just said to the doctors, ‘take it off. I want it gone’. ‘When I first came round I got one hell of a shock. There was only inches of my leg left. It was just complete and utter shock. To see it gone was like waking up in a nightmare.
When the scab initially appeared, Tanya’s mum urged her to see her GP but she refused. Tanya said: ‘I was like ‘yeah, yeah’ but didn’t. I had never had any other health problem. ‘A week later the pain got so bad I went to A&E and was hospitalised for five days where the doctors said it was a leg ulcer and put me on strong antibiotics.
The infection was so bad she was even forced to quit her job as a sales representative. I’ve never felt pain like that in my life: She said.