Nine British Children In Hospital From ‘Gas Poisoning’ In Spain

Nine British children are in hospital from suspected poisoning at a hotel in Northern Spain.

They are believed to have been staying at the four star Campomar Hotel in the village of Isla, close to the port of Santander as part of a school trip.

They are said to be suffering from the side effects carbon monoxide poisoning and have been taken to the Marques do Valdecilla Hospital in the city.

Several others are being evaluated by medical experts near the hotel. At least 27 people have been injured in total with 13 taken to hospital  – the British chidlren among them.

Five people are said to be seriously injured, however none of those are believed to be the British children.

Nine British children poisoned by gas while on school trip in Spain
At least 27 people have been injured in the gas leak at the hotel (Picture: Solarpix)

Witnesses said that one person had to be revived after suffering cardiac arrest when they were pulled from the building.

A hotel worker confirmed several British children had gone to hospital but said it was a precaution because of conditions including asthma that they suffered from, and said none had suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

She said: ‘They are all okay. They only found about something was wrong when ambulances started arriving.

‘The problem has been on the second floor where Spanish pensioners were staying and was confined largely to four rooms. It all happened about 8am.

‘One of the Spanish people taken to hospital is in a serious condition and our latest information is that seven people from that group are in hyperbaric oxygen chambers.’

She added: ‘The British children were taken to hospital simply to rule out the possibility they had suffered any harm.

Nine British children poisoned by gas while on school trip in Spain
Nine British children from a school party are among those in hospital (Picture: Solarpix)

‘The children in the rest of the group are at the hotel and will go by the hospital later for a check-up before the two groups take the ferry home from Santander as they were planning to do today.

‘The youngsters are aged about 10 and are from the same school group but I’m not authorised to tell you where they come from and it’s not possible to speak to them at the moment because they’re busy with other things.’

A local Civil Guard spokesman confirmed British youngsters were among those taken to hospital.

The hotel’s first floor was evacuated at around 9.10am following the leak which is believed to have happened in a bathroom.

A group of 45 pensioners are staying at the hotel from Malaga. It was when one of the couple’s in the group failed to go down for breakfast that a problem was first noticed.

Featured Image Credit: 112 Cantabria

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.